Sue

Default You might killfile me for asying this, but........

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 08:13:37 -0600, "Bob Paulin"
wrote:

I have never understood why, in the United States of America, a thing such
as a "killfile" is even necessary.

We are guaranteed Freedom of Choice, which I interpret to mean that I can
choose to read or, more importantly, NOT read anything.

I do not need an artificial intelligence "killfile" to help me make my own
personal decisions. I am capable of doing that myself. I can decide on a
case-to-case basis as to what I choose to read or NOT read.

If I didn't want to read Gunner - and, there are times that I really don't
want to read Gunner - I can simply click past the posts with his name. I
don't need a computer's "killfile" to accomplish that.

If I "killfile" someone, I am no longer practicing my own Constitutional
guarantee of Freedom of Choice, and I have transferred that right to a
machine.

I suspect that people who actively use "killfiles" are actually too weak to
control their own urges, and must rely on the computer software to make
their choices for them, else they backslide and actually read postings from
the person with whom they are currently in disagreement.

As for me you are partially correct. My reason for killfiling people
is usually not that I don't want to read their posts but that I don't
want to reply to their posts. I admit that I have no self-control.
(

AND........

....even if I *were* to use a "killfile", why would I need/want to
broadcast that particular information to everyone?

I don't. I'm a silent killfiler as I don't believe in the grand
announcement. I did however start a thread yesterday to a certain
person and explained that I have that person killfiled. I also
admitted that this was rather a CS move on my part. Shrug.
Your post is really good. Enjoyable reading. I'm not going to tell
you if I'm going to killfile you, though. G
Sue

rest of good post snipped