Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default measuring cutout holes in drywall

Eigenvector wrote:
I've done this several times and this is something that just keeps
eluding me.

What is the trick to measuring accurate drywall cutout holes for outlet
boxes? The big issue that I seem to have is that the measurments need
to be accurate by 1/8" all around for the job to look professional and
for the outlet plate to sit firmly. But when I go to do it, no matter
how many times I measure, I'm always off by 1/8" which puts one side
1/4" off and another snug against the box. I'm a firm believer in
measure once cut twice (or is that measure twice cut once...)

Are there better tools for measuring it? I'm using my tape measure
which is accurate but unwieldy and with that metal lip on the forward
edge it can be off by 1/4" if you get the tape bowed.

Measuring will get you there if you are absolutely consistent about it
but there are other ways to do it too. For example there are tools and
fixtures to allow you to do it more easily. This is one example of
several tools I've seen: http://www.handymark.net/instructions.html And
if you prefer power tools, one of the Roto-Zip tools will allow you to
make the cutout while following the edge of the box.

I have even done it with carbon paper (if you remember back that far)
and someone I worked with once told me that he had done the job by
dabbing his wife's lipstick around the box to mark the board.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]