Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Is anyone familiar with this chainsaw?

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 17, 2:49 pm, "Leon" wrote:
I am putting Mesquite
handles on the tops of the drawers. Boy is that stuff nice to work with.
Very stable and it sands out as smooth as glass.

Someone else was singing high praises of mesquite as well. How big a
trunk does it get? Or is it more for trim/accessories? I DAGS, and
didn't find much on the 'lumber' side of things.
One funny thing jumped out at me:
Screwbean Mesquite (Prosopis pubescens). Say what?

90% of Mesquite is brush in Texas. The trees grow very slowly, crooked, and
every once in a while you see one with a trunk 2' in diameter or bigger.
Its wood is a great for smoking meat or BBQ.
That said you really don't find Mesquite in massive quantities at wood
suppliers. There are some places that handle Mesquite exclusively.
Mesquite is the hardest North American wood and after it has dried will not
change more than 2% in size from climate changes. Very stable. Typically
you buy it like you buy some exotics, s2s with the bark still on it.
I like this place and have bought a little bit of Mesquite from them.
http://www.texaskilnproducts.com/txkiln1.html
If you look around the galleries show the wood samples in cabinets,
flooring, and fire place mantels.