Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default 15 amps or 20 amps

Doug Miller wrote:

snipped

No, he *is* an idiot. Putting 20A receptacles on a 15A circuit is a fire
hazard, because it enables plugging in a device that may draw more current
than the circuit conductors can safely carry.

I certainly agree with you that putting a 20 amp receptical on a 15A
circuit is NOT a smart thing to do because the shape of the receptical
slots makes it APPEAR that it's a 20 amp circuit.

But, if it IS a 15 amp circuit I'd expect the breaker (or fuse) to open
if the load exceeded 15 amps, so where does the fire hazard come from?

You could create an overload just by plugging two 10 amp loads into a
duplex 15 amp receptical on a 15 amp circuit, couldn't you?

snipped

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia