Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Captain Midnight Captain Midnight is offline

Default Consumer Reports: "Don't repair this TV..."

"Andrew Rossmann" wrote in message
.net...
In article . com,
says...
Acquiring a second-hand set may seem laughable (and stingy), but
considering that high-definition TV is less than two years away, and
any standard format set you have now will shortly become obsolete
(unless you spend additional money for a yet-to-be-available converter
box), this is a reasonable option.

Just to clarify, 2 years is the changeover to DIGITAL-only broadcasting.
There is no requirement that it be HD. Stations are free to use their
frequency allocation any way they want. Many just multi-cast multiple SD
feeds.

--

Not exactly true. They AFAIK are required to have one unencrypted sub
channel. The rest is up to the station. The FCC recently made a rule change

Digital, including HD, is here. Analog goes away in 2 years. Have been
watching all the networks through antenna for 2-1/2 years. All the stations
I receive have HD in the evening(at least). I'd kick myself if I'd waited
this long to go digital.