Posted to uk.people.consumers,uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Electric Bill - Is this Eccessive?

On 2007-03-17, Mary Fisher wrote:

My electricity and gas supplier used to give the same discount for
standing order and direct debit, and I had control over the monthly
payments.

Last summer they discontinued the SO discount. As I expected, they've
taken advantage of the DD mandate to jack up my monthly payments.
Since then I've been arguing with them over the amount and have had to
resort to using the DD guarantee to recall every other one.

They don't increase the payments without telling you in advance

That much is true.

so that you can discuss it with them.

Ha, ha. Npower sent me a letter to say they were increasing my DD to
a ridiculous level. I wrote back that I rejected that request and
demanded a reduction to half that amount until they provided a
detailed calculation. They started charging the high amount anyway,
and have continued to do so despite several further letters clearly
rejecting the increase. They are still charging the high payment and
have not provided a properly detailed calculation yet. So now I have
to recall every other payment. Is this what you mean by discussing
it?

Sorry, I didn't realise you were with NPower.

Why not change your supplier?

Mary