Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 15 amps or 20 amps

In article .com, "Terry" wrote:

I would like to add that the electrician might not be an idiot. He
might just be trying to drum up some unnecessary work. If your
switches are failing often enough, and you feel replacing them would
end the headaches then go for it.

No, he *is* an idiot. Putting 20A receptacles on a 15A circuit is a fire
hazard, because it enables plugging in a device that may draw more current
than the circuit conductors can safely carry.

You might consider using 20A receptacles in the kitchen. That is
about the only place I can think of. As many here have already
pointed out, 20A in the kitchen most likely won't necessary as it is
rare that you actually find an appliance with a 20A plug.

NOT UNLESS he has 20A circuits feeding the kitchen.

--
Regards,