Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Can a receiver's sensitivity diminish over time?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 03:58:57 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
:
: :Usually caused by a big lump of metal being moved close to the radio.
: Some
: :come with a dipole antenna made of ribbon cable - might be worth a try.
:
: I think mine is made of ribbon cable. It's cable almost 1/2 inch wide,
: IIRC. Plastic with the wires embedded in plastic at the edges. I've made
: a number of them from ribbon cable but none of those was providing as
: good reception as this one, which came with my Sony STRV55 receiver.
:
:It's in the shape of a T with the wires at the ends of the T arms soldered
:together?

Yes. In the case of this one, it's made in a factory and AFAIK solder
wasn't involved. I checked the continuity to check the possibility that
there was a discontinuity created by wear and tear over the years.
Multimeter set on ohms says it's continuous.
:
:It's not impossible to add extra elements to one of these also made of
:ribbon, but it gets hard to handle and install. If the roof isn't metal you
:can put a TV FM antenna up in the attic.

I actually have two rooftop TV antennas, one an anti-ghoster. I presume
they also work for FM. They are on separate masts. I could maybe add
another but not sure if I can have a 3rd mast. The attic is a
possibility, I suppose. Not really headroom in there, but I suppose it's
not necessary. Wouldn't such an antenna do better above the roof? The
roof is pretty standard construction with composite shingles, plywood
sheathing, felt, etc.

Email: d plus musicant at pacbell dot net