Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Is anyone familiar with this chainsaw?

On Mar 17, 7:46 am, "Robatoy" wrote:

His buying advice was: Select the best you can afford, then add $ 100.00 and buy that one. *G* IIRC he bought a model 460-something. It is supposed to have some features which make it work in cold weather.
I'll ask him.

That would be interesting. I know that in the "frozen tundra of
Canada" (tip of the hat to Chris Berman!) you guys have a huge lumber
industry and lots of folks using larger chainsaws due to the amount of
useful tree wood you have.

You buddy is right. I already went from the 455 to the 460 which added
$60 to my original budget. It was pointed out to me that since I am
buying a good chainsaw with quality chain, I should plan on buying
some chain files, instead of sending out the chain to the local
chainsaw guys that burn off half the chain when sharpening. That
added another $20 from the "pro guys" since they sell them in packs of
5.

This is the time to get a blow mold case as it will keep the fumes
inside the case, and any oil spills or pump dribble in the case long
with the extra chain and the lube. Also gives the saw a little more
protection when relegated to riding around in the bed of the truck.
But a case is another $75.

I'm already over what I thought I would spend, and now I'm trying to
minimize the damage. When the dust settles I'll bet I'm in for about
$550. For a damn chainsaw! (I am thinking that money should be in the
"upgrade the planer fund").

But if it lasts, it will be worth it.

Thanks for the input, and I will be looking for what you find out from
your amigo since I am thinking of purchasing next week.

Robert