Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot Michael Faurot is offline

Default $350 for a thickness planar what should I get?

wrote:
I'm looking for a thickness planer and plan on getting it from Home
Depot. They have Rigid, Ryobi, Delta, and Dewalt brands.

If you're not married to getting it at Home Depot, you may want to
look at the Dewalt DW734[1]. I've had this one for over a year now
and it does a good job. The knives (3 of them) on it are supposedly
"disposable", but I've heard that some people are able to either
hone or sharpen them. The knives are double sided, and to date
I've only had to flip mine around--that's using the planer perhaps
two or three times a week. I bought an extra set and they run about
$45. If you're doing hobby type stuff and you're careful about
what you put through it, the knives should last you awhile.

When I was originally looking for a planer, I also looked around at
Home Depot, but they only carry the Dewalt DW735[2], which is
considerably more expensive. If there's a Lowes in your area, they
carry the DW734 or you could buy it from some place online like Amazon.

[1]:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5934
[2]: http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5935

remove ".invalid".