Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default How to set up a hand plane

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
RM MS wrote:
" . . .start by reading as much as I can about how planes are supposed
to work . . ."

Sounds like you never had to do it for the money. Like I have said
over and over here, many of you folks worry too much, spend way too much
time buying crap, and too little time actually messing stuff up---and I
mean that in the positive way: GET TO WORK, as often and as long as you
can. So many questions I see here are answered by themselves by just
DOING IT.

There's a lot of truth in what RM MS said. At the risk of sounding
maudlin, I can say that there comes a point where a hand plane becomes an
extension of your hands and arms. This certainly won't happen the first
time or even the tenth time you use one. But with each use the tool
becomes a wee bit more familiar, and the feel of what it's doing makes
more sense.
snip

And there's a lot of nonsense there too. If someone asks for help, just
telling them they spent too much money on tools and they need to go back to
the shop and do the work is ridiculous.

I have done it for money and I know what cheap tools will do for you when in
the middle of a job they quit.

Each of us has a different philosophy in our work. If the op will do what I
suggested it will shorten some of the time in getting there.

I agree with attending workshops and classes in order to develop hand
skills.
:-)