Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Mortising Question

Looks normal.

"David" cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"David" cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom wrote in message
I've adjusted the chisel and bit with the .40c method and tried a few
variations but I still end up with that little collar
at the bottom of the mortise.

The purpose of the tenon is to hide that.

Look at the profile of the chisel and bit and you will realize it is not
going to be a flat bottom.

Thanks Ed for your reply.

The collar I was trying to describe is on the outer edge of the mortise

not
the center, it's the thin ring (collar) on the
outer edge that concerns me.

These 1/2" mortises are to receive 1/2" square metal spindles which will

not
seat on the bottom of the mortise because of this ring.

I didn't expect to have a flat bottom but I expected that if I drilled a
3/8"- 1/2" mortise I would be able to sink them that far.

From the picture I posted, is this what a mortise machine mortise is
supposed to look like, thin ring (collar) and all?

David.