Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams Tony Williams is offline

Default No more filament bulbs

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

When I was at my first job with GEC Sensors, there was one
engineering department that got the hump when one of the bean
counters put a call bar on the phone number for the local squash
courts, when he noticed it turn up regularly on the phone logs.
So the engineers worked out a way you could use the GEC internal
phone network (which as far as phone networks go, is vast), to
dial through from one bit of the empire to another to see if
they could get an outside line from there. Eventually they found
a route but it had to go through several different companies to
get there.

[snip]

:-)

Would that be in the 70's? Companies were lovely
places to work in then.... a right little Butlins
some of them, especially those on the gravy train
known as 'cost plus' military contracts.

--
Tony Williams.