Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default 15 amps or 20 amps

20 amp outlets and switches don't make them better, just higher capacity. If
you want better than residential grade devices, get something like spec
grade. It is a code violation to install 20 amp receptacles on a 15 amp
circuit. It is however legal to install 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp
circuits

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I had an electrican inspect an old house I bought and he said the wirings
and everything are fine and great. But many of the outlets and switches
are getting flaky and sometimes the switches don't work. We decided to
replace all outlets and switches. He told me to be on the safe side I
should get 20 amps switches and outlets.

I went to Home Depot and found the normal 15 amp switches are $0.89 a
piece, the 20 amp switches are $5.89 a piece. Big difference. I counted
that I need about 70 outlets and 45 switches so this adds up. Plus 3 way
20 amp switches are even more expensive!

I called him and he said if I have outlets I might plug in a saw or vaccum
cleaner than I should get 20 amps if it's a desk lamp 15 amp is enough.
So what is the basis for determining this if I have these switches:

For activating garage door openers.
For plugging in a central vac system.
For high hat lights (10 of them with one switch)
For high hat lights (a single one)
For outdoor dusk light
For a series of 5 florescent tube lights
For ceiling fan that has a light attachment
For a hallway a set of two high hat light

Can I use some 15 amps and some 20 amps, would really like to avoid the
expensive one if not really necessary.

Thanks,

MC