Posted to sci.electronics.repair
HarryB HarryB is offline

Default Consumer Reports: "Don't repair this TV..."

I have a 2 1/2 year old, 27" Sanyo DS27930 TV that began to
occasionally turn itself off last week, but now won't turn on at all -
it just makes a buzzing noise for a few seconds when I try to turn it
on, and then turns itself off. 9 months ago it fell off its stand onto
a carpeted floor, but worked fine after that until this problem
cropped up.

I'm trying to decide if I should repair or replace it. According to
Consumer Reports, "It doesn't make economic sense to repair
off-warranty ... conventional TV sets under 30 inches." Do the experts
here agree with Consumer Reports' recommendation, or should I pay
($40) for an estimate to see how much it would cost to have it
repaired?

TIA,
Harry