Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default tecumseh carburetor

wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to adjust the float carburetor on a tecumseh 7 HP engine.
I've adjusted the high-speed screw at the bottom of the float bowl.
But when I try to adjust the idle speed screw - it has no effect. I
can screw it in as far as it goes and the engine speed remains
unchanged.

when i had the carburetor off the engine i sprayed carburetor cleaner
into the idle speed hole (with the screw removed) and i saw the
cleaner come out the carburetor center. so i assume that this passage
is not blocked.

anyone have any ideas. should I even worry about this idle speed
adjustment. the engine seems to run reasonably well

thanks in advance.

bob

Here's a couyple of thoughts:

The throttle stop setting for idle RPMs may be high enough so that the
main jet is taking care of the fuel supply OK.

Or, maybe you only "checked" one path for fuel through the idle adjuster
(in or out) and the other is clogged.

I'd vote for my first thought.

But as you say "it runs reasonably well", just remember that the major
definition for pragmatism is: "If it works, leave it alone." G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)