Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike R. Courteau Mike R. Courteau is offline

Default End grain in and on a bowl

On Mar 15, 9:43 pm, "George" wrote:
I'm a relative newbie to woodturning and I've run into a problem and don't
have my mentor handy to get the solution. Also, I've searched online and
haven't tumbled to the answer.

I'm turning a fairly small walnut bowl, ~4" diam. The turning is all done.
There are rough patches inside the bowl and on the outside separated by 180
degrees, which are clearly due to tearing of the end grain. I've gone over
them with the scraper, and I've sanded. And I've done both procedures
again, but the patches are still there.

I know this is a common problem that must be faced and dealt with, but
obviously I don't know what next to do.

Suggestions?

George

There are a couple of things you can try but it really just boils down
to proper tool use and good sharpening. That being said, as a
beginner, you (and I) are still working on that and with time will get
better. In the meantime, try using some sanding sealer. I'm not sure
where you are so I can't give you available brand names for your area.
I am in Canada and the best stuff I have found so far is Home
Hardware's Sanding Sealer. A good friend of mine who is way past these
little tricks and who makes bowls for a living recommended the stuff
as probably the best available here. Just put it on, wipe it off with
paper towels and let dry a few minutes. It should stiffen the fibers
up enough for you to use a well sharpened gouge and just take a small,
itty-bitty-teeny-tiny cut all the way through. It works for me. The
other solution I have heard of but have not used yet is to coat the
area with a little bit of the finish you will be using, wipe off and
let dry a few minutes (5 or 10).

You need to understand a bit why this is happening. The fibers you are
cutting have no support in that area and they are actually being
ripped out of the wood as opposed to sliced off. You need to look for
a way to strenghten them up a bit. Sealer or a little oil can often
give them that little bit of extra support.

Some areas can be a lot tougher to fix due to the contour of the bowl.
If that is the case, a different grind on the gouge or a double bevel
can help. As a tool junky myself, I have multiple gouges with
different grinds that can accomodate the contours. If you have a very
very light touch and a very steady hand, you can achieve a near
perfect finish with a scraper but remember that whatever value you
place on "very light" and "very steady" is probably about 10 times
heavier than what I mean! Practice on a scrap until you can produce
whispy whispy strings of wood. I call it angel hair when I teach.

Like everything else in woodturning, practice, practice, practice and
never give up. It will all come together.

Works for me.

Mike Courteau

http://www.toymakersite.com