Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default No more filament bulbs

In article , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-03-16 15:50:27 +0000, Mike Barnes said:
,

No, what I meant was how could *John* (whose words have been snipped)
tell that they *couldn't* take CFLs?

Ah, I see what you're saying.

Because they are generally of the carriage lamp style and a normal
filament bulb goes up to the top of the glass and you can see the bulb
holder at the bottom. A CFL's ballast would fit but the effect would be
to move the lamp higher up - most of them do not appear to have very
much room above the top of the bulb. For the bulkheads, they are the
older squat type and when on you can see that the bulb is right against
the screw holding on the cover.

However I am interested in people saying that the newer CFLs may work in
PIR controlled lights - how can I tell whether the CFL and fitting are
compatible.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail