Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Malibu Transformer Question

trainfan1 wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I got a Malibu 600 watt transformer. Model ML600TW. When I rotate
the on/off knob, it makes the sound of smacking the outer housing with
a stick. A loud audible clank. Then it hums.

When I apply the tester to the bottom connectors, I can't get it to
read anything. Double checked tester with various voltage alkaline
batteries on DC, and they tested fine, so tester is good.

Is this transformer fried? Is the humming normal? Is that clanking
noise normal?

Steve

This is a switching power supply, which requires a load to show an
output w/ a conventional VOM. A scope is needed to see what's really
going on with these.

Rob

I may be wrong, and frequently are, but
I don't think any Malibu light power
units use a switching power supply.
They usually, as has been stated, run
simply on the AC output of an old
fashioned transformer. But, with that
said, I have seen 12 volt "transformers"
for indoor low voltage lighting, which
do use switching power supplies. So,
anything is possible. The advantage of
the switching power supply is a