Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? Home Depot CEO replys to theMSN article

Stephen Blackpool wrote:
The man's got class.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/communit...m=Pag e%3D322

I'm Frank Blake, the new CEO for The Home Depot. I've read a number of
the postings on the MSN message board (unfortunately, there were a lot
of them), and we've dispatched a dedicated task force - working
directly with me - that is ready and willing to address each and every
issue raised on this board. Please give us the chance.

There's no way I can express how sorry I am for all of the stories you
shared. I recognize that many of you were loyal and dedicated shoppers
of The Home Depot ... and we let you down. That's unacceptable.
Customers are our company's lifeblood - and the sole reason we have
been able to build such a successful company is because of your
support. The only way we're going to continue to be successful is by
regaining your trust and confidence ... and we will do that.

We've already taken steps to cure many of the ills discussed on this
message board:

* We will be and already are increasing our staffing in the stores.

* We're also in the early stages of launching a nationwide program
to recruit and hire skilled master tradespeople to staff our stores so
that our customers receive the kind of service and expertise that made
The Home Depot great.

* We're investing significantly in the appearance of our stores to
make them an easier and more fun place to shop.

* And we're making it clear to all our associates that nothing is
more important than you, the customer. Every associate knows that his
or her number one job is to make you smile and to help you solve your
home improvement problem ... no matter how big or how small.

But the real judge of all of these changes we're making is you. All I
ask is that you please give us the opportunity to win you back. When
you enter our stores, you should receive a personal greeting. After
that, you should encounter a helpful associate who will walk you to
find the tools, material or service you need. If you don't, please let
us know ... just like Scott Burns did.

I'd like to thank Scott - his column about our company was insightful
and revealing. You can easily tell that it struck a nerve with me.
Scott, we'll do all in our power to again make The Home Depot the
store you and your wife, Carolyn, once referred to as "our store." I'd
also like to give my thanks to the many people who posted comments on
this board. We want them. We need them ... to enable us to keep
getting better. We're committed to being the company that helped set
the standard for customer service excellence in home improvement.
Please continue to hold us accountable.

Finally, message boards of this type do not allow us to respond
directly to each poster, so please give us the chance to fix the many
issues discussed on this board by writing to
. You have my personal assurance that every
effort will be made to address your concerns.

The Home Depot was built on great customer service, and we will
rebuild on that tradition - just give us the chance!

Mr Blake might want to try listening to his employees - and not just
managers. My son worked in a HD in NJ years ago. He and all the
regulars saw what was going on and predict the decline. Many also left
for Lowes. Perhaps giving every employee a book or two - Like Good to
Great might help.

Lou