Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] rozzikate@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default Washing Machine Help

On 15 Mar, 12:26, "greg" wrote:
I'm not sure if my washing machine (Hotpoint Aquarius) is working
properly or not and I was wondering if someone here could help me.

When I wash at 60', there's lots of foamy suds in the drum during, but
when I wash at 40' there are hardly any. Is this supposed to happen?
Are my clothes getting clean?
(I'm using Fairy tablets at the moment - they are supposed to be
suitable for both 40' & 60')

Also, when I start a wash, quite a bit of water seems to be pumped out
of the machine - where does this come from and why does it do it? I
notice this because the washing machine outlet connects under the
kitchen sink & it bubbles up through the plughole.

Thanks

Greg

Not sure Greg - new washing machines are a bit of a mystery - they
like to wash and rinse with hardly any water!
Personally I wash everything on 30 now using a european liquid
detergent called Formil that I get from Lidl's. It's clear and rinses
out well (I've got sensitive skin) and does a pretty good job.
Would suggest you do a test like in the washing powder adverts. Grubby
up a couple of old tee shirts and put one in at 60 and one at 40 at
see if there's any difference in the result (you could also try 30
just to see if it makes any difference!)
As far as pumping out goes - my machine does it if I put the machine
on the rinse cycle. Some water will always drain down after the
machine has stopped and some will stay in the waste pipe the sink side
of the pump. You could phone the manufacturer but I think it might
just be a precautionary thing to stop foul water seeping back into
your machine at the start of the wash.