Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default What's the proper Netiquette?

Steve B wrote:
If I have a question that can be answered in more than one newsgroup, should
I:

It has been my experience that 99% of the off topic crap I used to read in
newsgroups comes from crossposted messages. You'll note I said "used to read".
That's because I filter crossposted stuff by using NewsProxy along with my
newsreader.

There usually is one group where your stuff is more on topic than any other.
Post it there and wait. If you don't get a useable answer within a reasonable
time, then I think you'd be within your rights to then post it in another group.
If anybody whines about it, just mention you tried the other group first but you
didn't get a reply.

I belong to a nursing newsgroup that has become all but useless because of the
crossposters. I seldom see a single message there but when I do it's highly
likely to be on topic. All the conspiracy crackpots, pharmaceutical haters,
anti-circumcision idiots, etc. all end up in the kill file; never to see the
light of day... at least on my computer. I trap them by nuking the
crossposters; they can't resist sending their crap to several groups at once.

Don't be like them.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com