Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tiny19k@yahoo.com is offline

Default Installing curtain track for heavy drapes

I would also choose rods that have separate brackets available. I made
drapes about the same size - a little over 11' wide - from denim, which
is rather heavy, and with lightweight lining. Anchored only with
plastic thingies in wallboard. Not my first choice, but I was tired of
the dang project and wanted to be done with it )

How many brackets did you need to use? Last night, the saleslady told
me to install the track with one centre support, and only put in more
if it sags, which sounds like a recipe for a bent track!

You may want to consider placing the brackets far
enough from the edge of the window so that when the drapes are open all
the way there is room to "stack" alongside the window, not in front of
window.

Normally I would, but there isn't much room on one side of the window
(BIW). I think that I am better off putting the end bracket in a stud,
even if it means covering the window a bit-it is quite a large window
anyway.

We would have had to
mortgage the house to buy new rods, so we bought bamboo poles, cut to
size, less than $30 each window. Wood rings stained to match.

Did you find that touching them to open/close left marks? (one reason
I would like something corded)

Thanks,
Karina