Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt Rick Brandt is offline

Default What's the proper Netiquette?

Steve B wrote:
If I have a question that can be answered in more than one newsgroup,
should I:

A. post it to each newsgroup separately so it is not filtered by
those who have the ";" as a filter to avoid crossposted posts?

B. do the Cc: thing above, and list all the newsgroups I want the
question to go to.

It seems that no matter what way one goes, you get called a
crossposter.
Is there a "proper" way to do it, or is this just a non matter
followed up only by Net Nannies?

Steve

A is Multi-Posting (always bad)

B is Crossposting.

Ignorant people will tell you this is frowned upon, but knowledgable people will
tell you that it is only *excessive* crossposting that is bad. As long as you
keep the list of groups to three (maybe four) or less and all the groups are
relevant then crossposting is fine and MUCH preferred to Multi-Posting.