Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.engineering.electrical
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Jet 1442 Problem

"Joe" wrote in message
et...
Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Since it's a tefc, I was hoping to avoid what
you're suggesting doing, which is take it apart, but oh well. Guess
that's a project for tomorrow. Just how long do those capacitors hold a
charge anyway? Not looking forward to getting zapped.

The capacitor on a single phase motor is there to produce phase shifting, to
create a "fake" rotating field. Since it is on AC, I don't see how it would
wind up with a charge when the motor is off. However, in case I am wrong,
just use a grounded clip lead to short out any terminal before you touch it.