Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default No more filament bulbs

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:42:32 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000 someone who may be John
wrote this:-

What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
work?

I doubt if linear halogen lights will be eradicated in the short
term. However, low powered dusk to dawn lights are better at
deterring criminals.

What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Very inefficient. Dimmed bulbs consume nearly as much electricity as
undimmed ones.

But they do allow you to vary the lighting depending upon your requirements
of the moment, such as when entering our children's bedroom when one of
them wakes at night and only putting on a dim light, enough to see by,
without waking the other child or for mood lighting.

What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3293 and the
like won't fit?

We use CFLs in our living-room wall lights, but can't in the centre lights
- the fittings have a clearance of only about 12mm from the top of a
standard candle bulb (the bulb has to be angled to get it in) and candle
CFLs are quite a bit longer. We do however mainly use just the wall lights,
but if we can no longer get bulbs for the centre lights, we will have to
spend hundreds of pounds replacing all the existing fittings - incidentally
losing a design that we particularly like.

How am I meant to recycle those pesky CFLs when I can't dispose of them
in the rubbish (landfill prohibition)?

Ask your council.

Steve W