Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Malibu Transformer Question

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:39:32 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I got a Malibu 600 watt transformer. Model ML600TW. When I rotate the
on/off knob, it makes the sound of smacking the outer housing with a stick.
A loud audible clank. Then it hums.

When I apply the tester to the bottom connectors, I can't get it to read
anything. Double checked tester with various voltage alkaline batteries on
DC, and they tested fine, so tester is good.

But if this thing is a transformer, isn't its output supposed to be
AC. That the tester will test DC doesnt' mean it is ok on AC. Each
setting usually has its own resistor, and even the switch contact
could conceivably be broken. Not that I think this has happened,
but..

Is this transformer fried? Is the humming normal? Is that clanking noise
normal?

Steve