Posted to alt.home.repair
volts500 volts500 is offline

Default Malibu Transformer Question

On Mar 15, 3:36 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Art Todesco" wrote in message

et...

Steve B wrote:
I got a Malibu 600 watt transformer. Model ML600TW. When I rotate the
on/off knob, it makes the sound of smacking the outer housing with a
stick. A loud audible clank. Then it hums.

When I apply the tester to the bottom connectors, I can't get it to read
anything. Double checked tester with various voltage alkaline batteries
on DC, and they tested fine, so tester is good.

Is this transformer fried? Is the humming normal? Is that clanking
noise normal?

Steve

Mine did just about the same thing. Upon opening, it was built very cheap.
tightened the transformer laminations the best I could, however, they were
not
designed to be tightened. I dribbled some shellac into the laminations
and it made
the hum tolerable. I think I also beat on it with a hammer to tighten it
as much
as possible. I've heard of people dribbling glue, etc. to try to solve
transformer
humming.

Geez, now I'm really scratching the twins. Upon testing with a tester, I
don't get anything. When I hook up a test wire and run it to a spare lamp,
the lamp lights. Apparently, the transformer is still good. I can see no
user serviceable fuses or resets. I'm going to pull the cover and look
inside, but at least I don't have to go buy another one.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

All that you are hearing is the timer contacts closing and the
transformer kicking in. I have had the same model as you for 4 or 5
years, what you are experiencing is normal. The transformer hum
usually lessens once it settles in and is barely noticable after that,
but yeah, when it kicks in one can hear it some distance away.