Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Malibu Transformer Question

Steve B wrote:
I got a Malibu 600 watt transformer. Model ML600TW. When I rotate the
on/off knob, it makes the sound of smacking the outer housing with a stick.
A loud audible clank. Then it hums.

When I apply the tester to the bottom connectors, I can't get it to read
anything. Double checked tester with various voltage alkaline batteries on
DC, and they tested fine, so tester is good.

Is this transformer fried? Is the humming normal? Is that clanking noise
normal?

Steve

Mine did just about the same thing.
Upon opening, it was built very cheap. I
tightened the transformer laminations
the best I could, however, they were not
designed to be tightened. I dribbled
some shellac into the laminations and it
made
the hum tolerable. I think I also beat
on it with a hammer to tighten it as much
as possible. I've heard of people
dribbling glue, etc. to try to solve
transformer
humming.