Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default What Type Of Cedar For Clapboards, etc. ?

Hello:

Live in New England and will be geting a new siding job.
Siding will be the typical horizontal clapboard style.
Guess Cedar is the de-facto type of wood for this.

What type of quality level is most common in New England ?

Am confused over what the contractors are saying.

Do I want just "clear Cedar"
Or Red Cedar ?
Or,... ?

What "quality level" should I be specifying ?

Any help on this would be most appreciated.
Really don't know much about this kind of thing, and would like to have
written into
the contract an appropriate type and quality level.

BTW: I looked pretty thoroughly but can't seem to find a cross sectional
view of a "water board".
The trim piece wood that when used goes below the lowest piece of horiz.
clapboard.
Anyone know a link for ?

Thanks,
Bob