Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:52:15 -0400, curmudgeon
wrote:

Chris Hill wrote:
On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, wrote:

I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Put your hand on one that has been running for a while. The closest
one to me always stays warm. Sounds like a waste of electricity to
put them everywhere.

GFI outlets don't "use" electricity...they monitor it for miniscule
shorts...which can be deadly where there is water...which is why they
also aren't used in every circuit.

They do use a little, enough to get warm.

Maybe that's what attracted the ants. I had on fail (with a buzzing
noise) a couple of years ago. The electrical box was full of ants and
ant ****.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster