Posted to alt.home.repair
dke3591 dke3591 is offline

Default Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Mar 15, 11:52 am, curmudgeon wrote:
Chris Hill wrote:
On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, wrote:

I think thatGFCIoutlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use themeverywherein the
house?

Put your hand on one that has been running for a while. The closest
one to me always stays warm. Sounds like a waste of electricity to
put themeverywhere.

GFI outlets don't "use" electricity...they monitor it for miniscule
shorts...which can be deadly where there is water...which is why they
also aren't used in every circuit.

I think not only the reliablity factor, such as if it trips and you
don't know, you have spoiled food in the fridge, BUT ALSO, anything
with a surge when it turns on, like a fridge, may trip it every time
the fridge compressor starts, as the GFI does monitor for small
changes in current. I asked my electrician the very same question
about 2 years ago when I had my electric updated, and that's what he
told me, the motor's surge will probably always trip the GFI.