Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default is it OK to use 110V lamps plugged into 220V outlets???

On Mar 15, 12:03 pm, "Expat" wrote:
On Mar 15, 10:50 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
Expat wrote:

I've read conflicting messages on the internet.Some sources say that
USA lamps can handle the increased voltage just fine w/o a step down
transformer,others say I need to change the ballast or use step-down
transformers.Thanks for any clarity on this!

What kind of lamp? If you mean 120V incandescent light bulb, then it
will have a very short but very showy life. If you mean the light fixture
for incandescent lamps without dimmers it should be fine assuming you are
using 240V lights, which of course may not have the same socket.

Sorry for the confusion in my original post.These are 120V
Incandescent lamps.So If I can find screw in type 220V bulbs I should
be OK then?Thanks for the help so far!

Incandescents with ballasts? That's a new one on me!

What are you trying to do here, anyway? You've already been told,
repeatedly, that the bulb will burn too bright and burn out quickly.
Get the right bulbs and give the others to someone who can use them if
you can't.

If you want to waste money, send it to me. I promise not to give you
anything in return. Honest!