Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.engineering.electrical
Bill Rubenstein Bill Rubenstein is offline

Default Jet 1442 Problem

Most likely -- your centrifugal switch is not opening. That switch is
IN the motor so it must be taken apart to get to it. Sometimes air
through the motor will do the trick but only sometimes.

If the start capacitor is bad (not very likely) it may not get the motor
spun up enough to kick the cent... switch. In this case you may be able
to spin it up by hand fast enough to kick it. That would prove that the
switch probably working right but the capacitor is bad.

If under warranty -- take it back.

Three phase motors don't have any of that 'stuff' which goes bad in
single phase motors. With the advent of less expensive vfds, somebody
needs to come out with a motor/vfd retrofit kit for various lathes for
those folks who are tired of screwing with capacitors and centrifugal
switches. That would also give you the low rpm and reversing which are
so sorely needed on so many Reeves drive equipped lathes.

Bill

Joe wrote:
I agree, but it trips with and w/o extension cord. And the cord I used was
a 9' air conditioner ext cord, more than adequate. Also, there is the issue
that this started happening after everything working fine for a number of
months.

joe

"tdup2" wrote in message
The GFI will rip easily. The extension cord could also make it trip if not
a large guage... at least 12 and no longer than 25feet.