Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] beerguzzler50@yahoo.com is offline

Default Drywall Nails

On Mar 15, 7:08 am, "3G" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

ups.com...
| On Mar 14, 8:34 pm, "Howard" wrote:
| Looking to find the code requirement for 5/8" firecode drywall in a
| garage. How long do the nails need to be and what spacing for a
| ceiling? TIA
|
| I don't use nails as they're more prone to popping and they don't hold
| as well as screws.
|
| Generally 1 1/4" screws, mimimum, are used with 1/2" drywall, and 1
| 5/8" screws with 5/8" board. I'd space the fasteners 8" on center,
| thought the books will tell you 12". Here's a good basic site:
|http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projec...all/drwl_4.htm
|
| If you want the definitive answer on drywall, visit the USG web site
| and check out their online drywall handbook. More information than
| you'll ever need.

that's funny
the plasterers I hired used nails to tack the sheets and then screwed it
off with fine thread drywall screws.
they also used nails to install all the corner bead.
no popped nails yet.

also 1 1/4" screws for 1/2" drywall is correct unless it is over a
pocket door which would require 1" screws.

Give it time. 5 years after my house was finished using drywall nails
every room has numerous pops.