Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Questions about improving the insulation in my loft

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:36:04 +0000 someone who may be Rob Horton
wrote this:-

(2) If I need to add height to my joists, (it's a small house and need
to use the loft for storage) can I lay wood strips (of the same
dimensions as the existing joists) on top of the the existing joists?

You can do. A better strategy is to top up the existing level to the
top of the joists and then lay rolls of insulation material at
ninety degrees to the joists around the edge of the loft, leaving a
central core that does not have this extra insulation or adding
boards above just the central core if this does get extra
insulation.

Lightweight items can be stored on top of the insulation and heavier
items stored in the central core.

Remember not to insulate under water tanks.

(3) I have electrical cables in the roof, although these are for
ordinary electrical lighting. Is it OK to have these covered by the
insulation?

Probably. Make sure there are only lighting cables though as the
cables of other circuits don't have as much capacity in reserve.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh