Posted to rec.woodworking
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Critique my plan - workbench

RayV wrote:

Wow Charlie! NICE bench.

Thanks. It was a very interesting project. I still can't
believe I made it. Must've been channeling a much better
woodworker already in The Big Shop In The Sky.

I have a question about the shoulder vise
though. I thought the rod would go all the way through to the other
side of the bench, if I read correctly yours only goes through the
apron. Couldn't an overbearing woodworker use the leverage of the
vise to break off the shoulder?

Well the big dovetail on the end of the shoulder vise arm deal with
some of that force. The AllThread that goes through the apron
has a 1" flat washer between the stretcher and the nut. If you
know someone who can pull it through about 1 1/4" of birch (or
it might be beech - World Wrestling Entertainment is looking for
him). Besides, the shoulder vise only needs to hold up a long
board on edge so you can plane it. That doesn't require honking
things down enough to stress the arm joint much.

But on the subject of the shoulder vise - I wish I'd cut the screw
down two or three inches. Stupid me - I went for max jaw opening
- even though I'll never actually need that capacity. That shoulder
sticks out a lot more than needed. Will be easy enough to fix since
neither the arm or the spacer block are glued. When it irritates
me enough I'll get around to it.

Also how about the levelers? They didn't seem very substantial.

9/16th diameter with a 3" diameter foot - with 80 grit sand paper
cemented to the bottom of each foot - I think each can support\
over 300 pounds. That's not substantial enough?

As for the bench I am building you raise good points and ask some
questions I can't answer yet. I'm a Newbie-Normite who is still
learning how to sharpen an iron and just bought some scrapers. I
don't have the PC 4212 yet or a decent back saw so have yet to cut a
dovetail. My next project could be a Cherry chest of drawers or
rescreening the patio door.

The hand tools will come - all in good time.

adding weight to the bench, if you turn the bench legs into
big torsion boxes by skinning both sides with ply, you can put
lead shot (or old lead tire balancing weights if you know anyone
at a tire shop) between the skins and add a hundred pounds or
more to each end. If you go the lead shot route, be aware that
they have to be put in while the "box" is laying down. Add the
shot with the legs/torsion box on the floor about where you
want them to be when the bench is done. Lots easier to tilt
the weight up rather than having to lift it up AND then put
it down - gently.

36" is a little high but I'm 6' and almost always have boots on in the
garage and the 34" of the TS always feels a little low to me.

So 36" would probably work out fine for you. There's the potential
conflict with the table saw's outfeed wood alley. Maybe it's time
to build a torsion box to get it up where it's more comfortable
for you.

I don't expect this to be the last bench I build, I see it as more of
an test/experiment to see what works and what doesn't.

Everyone can always use an assembly bench so version one won't
become an orphan. My first bench was doubled up, glued and screwed
1 1/8" ply - 4x7 - without the 2x4 apron. Nice big flat surface.
Too wide though - 4' Clamp "N Guides wouldn't span that width. Had
to notch the apron to accomodate them.

The ironic thing about a woodworking work bench is that you almost
need to already have a woodworking bench in order to build one.

Enjoy gathering info, working out what will meet your needs and
building your bench. Life's easier with a decent bench.

charlie b