Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Woods Tom Woods is offline

Default Reducing road noise in garden with acoustic reflective barriers

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:45:59 +0000, Tim Snell
wrote:

nightjar wrote:

"David Sims" wrote in message
oups.com...
The absolute enemy of noise reduction are gaps of any kind (hence why
vegetation is so bad)

I would suggest a normal stout closeboard or lap fence with thick
boards as high as you can go. Seal any and every gap

I would go for a brick wall. They have to be very badly made to have gaps
and the mass will also help to prevent them transmitting noise.

Colin Bignell

Yes but how much would that cost??

Seriously 2.4m/8ft high by 25m what on earth would that cost...does anyone
know?

plain solid concrete blocks which are 440mm long x 10mm wide and about
20cm high (its a standard block size that i cant recall at the
moment!) are a touch over 60p each at my local builders merchant.

I just extended my existing wall from about 80cm high to just under
2m. It is 60ft long (roughly 20m).

I used about 370 blocks - however i also built a buttress every 6-8
foot or so to give the wall extra strength - which uses quite a few
more bricks but should stop it falling down so easily! (approx 25
blocks per buttress but my wall is curved and has children climbing
over it so really needs it - you could probably go for one every 10-15
foot)

assuming that you need 700 bricks, that would be £441 at 63p each

you are going to want foundations too, in addition to mortar so budget
for 3 tons of sand (about £30/ton), 10-15 bags of cement (£3.20 each)
and some gravel/hardcore if you havent already got some.

I reckon that puts you at £600ish assuming you did your own labour.
You will want a cement mixer too! (£50 off ebay)

Its taken me about 2 weeks - I can now lay about 50 blocks in an 8
hour day, so you are looking at quite a few days of work if you do it
solo!.

That should give you a good idea!