Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
TKM TKM is offline

Default Compact fluorescents

"Alan Sung" wrote in message
. ..
"TKM" wrote in message
It's a bit longer and more noticeable in some CFLs.

I bought some new CFL floods from Walmart and the warm-up time for these
is
significantly longer. On the order of 2 to 3 minutes before full
intensity.
The packaging says 100W equivalent, but when they first go on, they're
about
as bright as a 25W bulb for the first minute. I've had much better
experience with the "Lights of America" brand where you barely noticed the
startup time.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

Chances are you have an "amalgam" CFL. Manufacturers don't distinguish
between amalgam and non-amalgam lamps; but the amalgam designs are generally
superior because they maintain maximum light output over a wider range of
ambient temperatures. The downside is that they take several minutes more
to warm up to full output.

TKM