Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Installing curtain track for heavy drapes

wrote in message
s.com...
I would like to put a double cord-drawn curtain track in a bedroom,
with heavy drapes/shear combination, but I am somewhat unclear on the
best method of installation.

(The wall is timber-framed, with gyprock/drywall on the inside, with a
steel casement window, if this makes any difference). The window has
~4 inch wooden trim above and on the sides, and all the current
curtain rods and tracks in the house are attached to the trim at the
top.

(snip)
Where is likely to be the best place to attach the track so that the
weight of the drapes doesn't pull the track down? The wooden trim or
above the trim, into the wall?

If I attach it to the trim, I would need to use the shorter of the
tracks-would 2 centre supports be sufficient? Could the trim be pulled
away from the wall over time?

If I attach to the wall, I could use the longer track (although not
much longer due to a perpendicular wall nearby). If I need to attach
the brackets to the studs, they may not be evenly distributed, would
that be a concern?

I will be making the drapes, and their exact length is not an issue.
But I have never picked/installed a track before, so would appreciate
any advice.

I'm no interior decorator, so this may look wrong, but I always put them
above the trim, screwed through the rock into the header in the center, and
right over the the outside corners on the ends, positioned to catch at least
one long screw into the studs on each side of header. Use molleys for any
that miss stud, but if all of them miss the stud, move the bracket over a
hair. Heavy drapes screwed into trim will tend to tear the trim off the
window or wall. The dinky little screws that come with most traverse rods
are garbage- get real screws, phillips or hex head if possible. Keeping a
flat-blade centered on tiptoes is a pain. I like to use fine-thread drywall
screws, if the top of the drapes will hide them. Driver bit in a cordless
drill makes the install go quick.

aem sends...