Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Dust collectors

"Ron" ronaldjangelATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message
. ..

They both have 1hp motors, the PSI unit moves 850 cfm vs the Jet's 650.
Jets canister is rated at 2 microns vs PSI 1 micron filters

I have a Jet 1100CFM canister type collector. For reference, it does not
let a spec of dust escape from my Delta 15" stationary planer.

The PSI unit also includes 8' of pipe & 15 bags.

They both seem like good values and what PSI gives you for the extra $50
is
probably worth it as well.

That said..
I'm planing on using it mostly with my Delta 13" planer, router table
and
14" bandsaw. The BS and RT shouldn't be problems, but,
I've read where the planer many need closer to 800 CFM to do a good job.
I normally plane a lot of WOak, ROak and Cherry

Consider this also. the rated CFM is with everything brand new and not
clogged. As the canister clogs, the capacity of the collector drops. You
can turn the flapper to knock the dust loose inside the canister but the
smaller units will require you to do this more often. The finer the saw
dust the more often the canister clogs.

I'm hopefully going to replace my table saw with the newer Ridgid model
next and I'd like to be able to hook that up as well.

I run my collector to my Jet cabinet saw and different saws will yield
different results. That said, I still have to run the collector hose inside
the saw to clean it out but not nearly as often and there are going to be
some cuts that the collector is simply not going to catch.