Posted to rec.woodworking
dondone dondone is offline

Default Kreg Pocket Jig question - face frames and cabinet doors

"Leon" wrote in message
news

Ok, so basically you are building the door in the traditionally way but
reinforcing the corners with pocket holes. I think you are going way
overboard. I have doors that have been hanging since 1989 and have never
had a customer call me about a door problem. If you have a door with a
broken joint I strongly suspect you will find a damaged hinge and or face
frame also.

Yea! Most people say I'm overboard (but never over-bored) - even my wife
says that on other things. But I'm an engineer and take the those small,
extra measures to avoid failures - what can I say? I don't sleep any better
at night because of this method, but there are two reasons I'll continue
building doors this way:
a) it speeds up assembly, since I don't have to use clamps until the glue
dries. Once the screws are in place, the door is solid. I can assemble 3
or 5 or 12 doors, in a very short period of time, with only one set of 4
Bessy clamps.
b) I doubt that I'll get any call-backs from my wife.
In some ways it's like saying that I know glues are much better than they
used to be, but I am going to continue to use dovetail joints on drawer
boxes anyway - which I do.