Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default heating imbalance in townhouse

On Mar 13, 4:45 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Kyle" wrote in message

The good news is the HVAC guy from the property management company
told us we stand to have lower cooling bills than average this Summer
since cold air pushed to the second floor will come down the steps and
keep the first floor temperate.

He is an idiot. You pay, one way or another, to remove the heat from the
air.

True, but perhaps it's not that the HVAC guy is an idiot but that I
didn't explain this well. For one thing, I shouldn't have said "lower
than average" but "lower than your average heating bill for this
neighborhood". The idea here is that the AC will not have to work as
hard as the heater to bring the house to the temperature called for by
the thermostat.

It is 7-8 degrees warmer on the bedroom level than on the main floor
because the air is pushed there rather than to the main level and the
thermostat is on the main floor where there is next to no air
circulation.

In the Summer the temperature and circulation disparity should be
mitigated by cool air's propensity to settle and warm air to rise.
Since most of the air will still go to the bedroom level and settle to
the main floor, the two levels should be fairly close in temperature
as a result.

At least, that's the theory. We'll see come June, July and August.