Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] user@domain.invalid is offline

Default Adding a second level on home

When you say a "truss roof" will be much worse than a regular home, what
does that mean? If you have a truss roof system, is it not possible to
add a second story? If it is possible, does it cost twice as much as if
you have a "regular home"?

I'm interested in this discussion, as we are trying to figure out if we
should add a second floor to our ranch house, or add on to the
side/back. Our main issue for wanting to "go up" is to get a "view".

Cathy

wrote:
On Mar 13, 1:25�pm, "Rich" wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
groups.com...

Can someone tell me how much this generally costs? ?I have a ranch
that I would like to renovate by adding a second floor. ?Is there a
way to estimate it per square foot? ?What hidden costs are there (such
as architect fees, permit fees, and etc.)? ?Thanks.

About the same as 2 or 3 new cars.

Could be even more!

cost depends on the existing structure of your home. newer homes are
frequently lighter built, which would mean more structural upgrades.

a truss roof home would be much worse than a regular home.

I have a friend who did this, it was messy living in hoime during
construction.

plus how much of the existing floorplan will change? if you want to
reconfigure a bunch costs will be more.