Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Default Critique my plan - workbench

About 28 years ago I built a unique workbench because I didn't like benches
against a wall, nor what most people considered a bench, particularly long
narrow benches. I still use this bench regularly.

The bench is 48" square, made of 3/4" fir plywood with two cupboards and 6
drawers in the base along with 4 electrical outlets. The top is made of two
layers of 3/4 firply with 1/4 birch ply topper as a work layer. Loaded it
weighs about 300 pounds and is solid as a truck. If I have to move, it can
be broken down to a number of pieces that will pass through a regular
doorway. This I have done once.

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
My last project (Maple cutting board) has determined what my next
project will be - a workbench. The weight and clamping abilities of a
'real' workbench should make working on future projects more enjoyable
and less frustrating.

Here is what I am planning and would appreciate any advice.

The base will be constructed much like the bench in the Nov. '05 issue
of Wood.
http://store.woodstore.net/trwo.html
I will be using PT-SYP because it is heavy and I have it.

The top will be a 1" Oak butcher-block table ($40 at second hand
store) on top of two layers of MDF. I think I will attach it this
way:
Drill slightly oversize holes in one sheet of MDF then screw that
piece to the Oak using Liquid Nails as glue since the Liquid Nails
stays flexible. I will countersink the holes between the two panels
so the material displaced by the screws won't push the panels apart.
Drill holes in the second sheet of MDF and screw to the first, again
with countersinks on the backside. Wrap the top with Maple.

The front vise will be made using this hardware from Grizzly with the
inside jaw being the apron and the outside jaw being 3 layers of 3/4
Maple.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7788

The tail vise will be made using this hardware from Lee Valley and
will probably be similar to the Nyquist style vise made out of Maple.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...64&cat=1,41659

The finished top will be 30x60 with no tool tray and 3/4 dog holes and
36" off of the floor. The 36" is higher than my TS but maybe that
will motivate me to build this.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodmag/...asymoverbg.jpg