Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default Critique my plan - workbench

The top will be a 1" Oak butcher-block table ($40 at second hand
store) on top of two layers of MDF. I think I will attach it this
way:
Drill slightly oversize holes in one sheet of MDF then screw that
piece to the Oak using Liquid Nails as glue since the Liquid Nails
stays flexible.

I don't have a good feeling about this part. You can expect seasonal change
in width of a 30" wide oak to to be on the order of 1/4". The MDF should
stay fairly consistent. I don't think liquid nails is going to allow a layer
of the sandwich slide like that.

I think your top needs to be all solids or all sheet goods.

I don't know what a Nyquist vise is, but the rest of the design seems
doable. If you have not read it yet, get a copy of "the workbench book" by
Landis. It's about $20 and worth every penny. The Landis book explores all
sorts of benches: Euro-traditional, Japanese, plywood ...even a chapter on
the workmate.

-Steve