Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Quality of hand cut dovetails...

On Mar 13, 12:08 pm, Leuf wrote:
On 12 Mar 2007 09:55:54 -0700, "

wrote:
panels. The owner of the antique thought it was signed by the
builder. Something Butler I think and the writing started with "B".
But it turned out the writing was just "Bottom" to indicate the bottom
of the piece. I doubt today anyone would consider leaving "Bottom"
written in white chalk on the non visible pieces of a piece of
furniture they make.

Err.. I would I don't mark the bottom because it's pretty easy to
know where the plywood parts go. But on drawers I label the parts
with the drawer number and F,B,R,L to keep everything straight. The F
gets covered by the false front, I'll sand down the sides so the R and
L go away. But take one of my drawers out and you'll see something
like "3B" on the back of it. Who cares? And besides, if you take
them all out you've got the numbers there to help you get them back in
the right order. Hopefully you aren't seeing shoddy joinery.

-Leuf

The "Bottom" was written in very large letters in white chalk. It
covered about half the bottom of the drawer slip. It was very, very
large. As in the drawer slip was about 18"x36". And the writing was
about 8" high by about 16" long. Really big. And it was just left on
the piece and I presume finish applied over it. I'm guessing your
"3B" is less than an inch and in pencil and fairly subdued.