Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Pros & Cons of various floor materials

Maybe you can kinda do both.

There is a fairly new flooring that is a vinyl tile in strips.
Armstrong strips are 3"x36" or 4"x36". The 4x covers 1 SF, just
like VCT tile.

We have 2 installations of it now. It has only been down for a
few months. Most observers, including tradesmen, think it is a
laminate or real wood floor.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Bob" wrote in message
My wife wants to replace the kitchen floor which is currently
sheet vinyl
directly over the concrete foundation. We built the house ten
years ago.
She is thinking tile, a good quality, not HD el-cheapo stuff.
It seems to
me that tile would be rather hard to stand / walk on for any
length of time.
I suggested wood. Her concern about that is that we have two
dogs, about 40
pounds each, and she fears their toenails will dent and scratch
it. Perhaps
she has a point.

Also, we are going to replace the carpet in the den this year,
and again we
are thinking of wood, but her concern about the dogs applies
there as well.
I also have a concern about furniture denting it, and I really
don't like to
have to put rubber coasters under furniture legs. Also, does
furniture have
a tendency to slip / slide on a wood floor?

Another concern about wood is the care required. We really
don't know what
it entails.

I intend to go to a floor store and check out various materials
but it is
always mice to go in armed with as much information as possible,
so I'd
appreciate any experiences and advice you may have.

Thanks in advance, Bob