Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default How to build a loft hatch?

On Mar 13, 10:25 pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:
Mathew Newton wrote:

On Mar 13, 7:22 pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:

The only problem, as I see it, with a door which opens upwards is
that it would prevent you from installing and using a loft ladder.

Possibly, yes. Although I guess it might depend on the ladder and
exactly how it fixes/functions?

I think it's more than possibly! Every loft ladder I've seen parks *across*
the hole - so you wouldn't be able to open the hatch. Or, if you installed
it with the hatch open (which you'd have to do!) you wouldn't be able to
shut the hatch.

Ah yes... And, more to the point, you would of course need a ladder
anyway to get up to swing open the hatch!!

To the OP, caveat all my advice therefore with the warning regarding
loft ladders as opposed to stepladder access!

Mathew