Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeroni Paul Jeroni Paul is offline

Default Verify a(maybe) dying diode caused by a bad capacitor???

Eeyore wrote:
Bad advice.

Some components may have been stressed by the fault The charring near the diode
indicates this.

There's NO WAY to prove the diode hasn't had its reliability compromised through
overheating so it should be replaced as a precaution.

The charring proves that the diode has always run hot and it is likely
the way it is meant to be. A board is not charred in just a few hours
of operation.

Messing and replacing these diodes is a good way to risk the power
supply, and given that it runs hot I would be very careful with the
type I replace it with, get it wrong and you may blow the supply again.